Course type: Online; Self-Paced
Duration: Available for 2 months
Time required: Up to 1 hour per module
Target Audience: Healthcare Professionals and Students
Scenarios Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish
This course provides you with practical preparation on how to recognize, stabilize, diagnose and treat patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19), through six interactive virtual patient scenarios.
It is a free-of-charge individual learning experience, proudly offered by Body Interact to everyone involved in the pandemic fight.
Need help accessing the course? Learn how to enroll in the free COVID-19 Online Course
About the COVID-19 Online Course
Respiratory infection by COVID-19 is a worldwide pandemic emergency, and healthcare professionals must be prepared to recognize, stabilize and treat patients affected with this infection.
This COVID-19 Online Course is based on the current international guidelines for action and treatment of the virus and includes clinical cases based on a systematic and scientific evidence-based approach to treat and save the lives of patients with COVID-19.
Designed to prepare healthcare professionals in the correct use of personal protective equipment to patient assessment, diagnosis and treatment, this course is composed of six (6) modules with increasing complexity, from basic through advanced.
This course is intended for Healthcare Professionals and Students who want to learn how to recognize, stabilize and treat patients infected with COVID-19.
- 6 Modules
The course consists of 6 modules, with each containing a clinical scenario with an increasing level of complexity. You can attempt each case up to 3 times.
- Online, Self-paced
You have up to 2 months to complete the 6 modules at your own pace. The course can be accessed through the Body Interact at any time.
- Certificate of Completion
After completing the course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion that can be added to your CV.
What you will learn:
By undertaking the COVID-19 Online Course, healthcare professionals and students will be prepared to:
- Understand the fundamental principles of respiratory viruses including SARS-CoV-2 “COVID-19”, and how to effectively respond to an outbreak;
- Recognize clinical signs and symptoms of COVID-19 infection in patients;
- Perform adequate infection control measures for suspect and confirmed COVID-19 infection;
- Systematically assess and provide immediate stabilization for patients with COVID-19;
- Treat severe COVID-19 according to latest guidelines;
- Troubleshoot common clinical scenarios with unstable patients;
- Manage severe pneumonia and sepsis, including severe sepsis bundle;
- Use pulmonary ultrasound as an alternative approach for diagnosis of COVID-19.
Meet the Clinical Reviewers
Body Interact has developed the COVID-19 Online Course with Clinical Reviewers from an international panel of medical experts.
Filipe Froes, MD, PhD
Tiago Alfaro, MD, PhD
Wenjie Hu, MD, PhD
Xun Hou, MD, PhD
Miguel Padilha, RN, PhD
Paulo Martins, MD, PhD
Lukas Drabauer, MD, MBA
Sofia Macedo, RN, MSc EBHC, CPPS
Abdulelah Alhawsawi, MD
Prof. Stefano Perlini, MD
Anna Sabena, MD
Captain Michael Wright, NREMT-P, Tactical Paramedic
1. Welcome video: General introduction to acute respiratory infections and the emergence of coexistence with the Covid-19 virus, by Tiago Alfaro, MD, PhD, Expert in Respiratory Medicine.
2. Context: Viral respiratory disease caused by the COVID-19 virus can range from a simple infection to more complex infections such as the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome(SARS).This module provides a general introduction to acute respiratory infections COVID-19 and emerging respiratory viruses.
3. Clinical Scenario: Alice lives alone but a few days ago she went to the nursing home to see her boyfriend. Following this she has generalized pain and she can barely move.
1. Context: This module allows you to practice prevention and control strategies for emerging respiratory pathogens, including a suspected COVID-19 infection.
This module supports health professionals to make clinical judgments in the face of a suspected infection, preparing them to respond to a respiratory virus case. The purpose of this module is to identify a suspected case and properly implement CPI measures, to ensure that there is no further transmission to the healthcare professional or others in the vicinity of the patient.
2. Clinical Scenario: Mark was brought to a local primary care facility due to signs of increased respiratory difficulty and fever.
1. Context: The COVID-19 virus has caused significant medical and economic challenges worldwide and the early detection of the virus and intervention, is essential to prevent its spread and to avoid more serious complications for the carrier and the broader community.
This module provides an insight into the signs and symptoms present in a person with COVID-19. It is intended to provide health professionals with knowledge of the means of transmission of the virus and the correct identification and management of these clinical signs.
2. Clinical Scenario: Hank has had a dry cough for almost one week, and he is not getting better; he complains of a fever and fatigue.
1. Context: There is currently no licensed medication to cure COVID-19, however there are several drugs approved for other indications and associated complications, that support the treatment of patients with COVID-19.
International guidelines recommend the administration of broad-spectrum empirical antibiotics for suspected bacterial coinfection and prevention of superinfections in critically ill COVID-19 patients.
In all, it is highly recommended that doctors use antibiotics with anti-inflammatory activity not only for empirical antibiotic therapy, but also to reduce inflammation to treat septic shock in patients diagnosed with COVID-19.
2. Virtual Clinical Scenario: Mr. Giovannoni has had a dry cough for seven days now, and he is not getting better; he complains of fever and fatigue.
1. Context: This module focuses on the clinical treatment of patients with severe acute respiratory infection. It provides you with crucial knowledge necessary to provide safe, effective and quality care to the patient.
This virtual clinical case addresses all the aspects of clinical management from prevention measures, patient assessment and treatment of the seriously ill patient.
This case requires sustained intervention addressing issues of the prone position and invasive mechanical ventilation.
Several patients with ARDS related to COVID-19 require prone positioning, which represents a challenge for the intensive care unit.
2. Clinical Scenario: After testing positive for COVID-19, Lorenzo was sent to the Intensive Care Unit for close monitoring.
1. Context: The lack of knowledge of the pandemic and its inherent risk of infectious spread, makes its diagnosis and treatment complex.If the virus is found to be present in a patient, pulmonary ultrasound can play an important role in the management of patients with COVID-19-related pneumonia.
Ultrasound provides an immediate, low-cost diagnostic response and can prevent the risk of spreading the infection by preventing the patient from moving within the hospital area.Ultrasonography supports the diagnosis and monitoring of pulmonary pathology in patients with COVID-19.
2. Clinical Scenario: Mr Arturo Ravanelli has a fever with flu-like symptoms for 10 days. The patient has been taking a clarithromycin antibiotic for 3 days and developed a subsequent erythematous skin reaction.
3. Final Video: Video explanation by Professor Stefano Perlini (Director, Emergency Department, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo Foundation, and Emergency Fellowship Program, University of Pavia, Italy), regarding the use of pulmonary or ultrasound as an alternative approach for the diagnosis COVID-19.
Why people love this course
"Amazing app for students and young practitioners although me as a doctor also really enjoyed it. Hope in future your project will develop and you will add more really cool clinical cases. Good luck in your great job!!!"Dmytro
"It’s really very helpful for health workers."Kishwar Sultana
"Excellent coaching for both students and doctors"Andrii
"Regarding the course, it was very interesting and I really recommend it. I still haven't finished my Medicine degree, so in some aspects it proved challenging, but I had the opportunity to learn a lot! This is the second time I've used Body Interact and I've really enjoyed the experience."Inês
“An excellent interactive simulator that allows you to define tactics in diagnosis and treatment.”Svetlana
"Great opportunity for learning."Elizabeth Vera
“Working as a cardiologist, it’s very interesting to experience Body Interact in these tough days. Thanks a lot for the opportunity. ”Faten Yahia
"Congratulations for the initiative to teach professionals to virtually train patients with suspected Covid-19."Franc Arruda
“Very good course for daily practice.”Daniel Espinola
“This experience will help me in a positive way in the work area."Glorimar Medina
"Excellent tool for assessment! I've learned how to prioritize, think of risks, tests and treatment for possible patients with COVID-19. Thank you!!!"Marisol Matias
“Practicing with virtual patients is very important for the training of doctors."Сергей
"Excellent scenarios much needed at this trying time."Edwin Rwebugisa Lugazia
“Greetings! You have done a great job, thank you for sharing it. "Howieda